LightSpeed LAN WP and Magenta
VS Printing to PC Printers using
- Use VS Word Processing and WP Plus on
Windows client PCs without a WLOC card.
- Print VS WP and WP Plus documents to
PC or LAN printers.
- WP Plus 4230 Emulation with full
WISCII symbols and line drawing graphics.
- Dramatic VS I/O overhead reduction for
VS WP and WP Plus applications.
Who needs it?
- VS sites co-existing with LANs, who
still need access to VS WP or WP Plus, in addition to the
normal DP access that LightSpeed NVS provides.
- VS PACE users that need WP integration
across the LAN
- WP Plus users with WINLOC, which does
not display WISCII or line drawing.
- VS sites with performance problems due
to WP and WP Plus usage.
- VS sites who want to make more
efficient use of PC or LAN printers.
- Allows remote VS users to access WP
and WP Plus for the first time, through LAN bridges.
How LAN WP Works
- VS WP and WP Plus are microcode based
applications normally only supported on VS 2256C and 4230
terminals with a Z80 microprocessor, and on PCs with a
WLOC card that essentially adds the Z80 and special
screen display hardware to the PC.
- The LAN WP module runs from LightSpeed
NVS Windows Virtual Terminal Emulation.
- When WP or WP Plus is run, a
LightSpeed VS Microcode Emulator is loaded which includes
a Z80 microprocessor instruction emulator together with
emulation of the screen display hardware, which allows
microcode based applications to run normally.
- To improve performance, most VS
microcode and WP Plus database files are cached on the PC
or a LAN drive. This reduces VS I/O dramatically with
benefits for other users.
- WP defaults are held locally on the PC
instead of by logical device number
- The document currently being edited
may be cached on the PC, for further performance benefit.
- Pointing and clicking the mouse allows
WP and WP Plus menu selections to be made.
- Performance on a 50MHz or faster PC is
similar or better than a WLOC card.
- Magenta Printing supports normal VS
laser printers, PC printers on WLOC connected PCs, or
client PCs with the LightSpeed LAN WP module.
- With the LAN WP module, WP and WP Plus
documents may be printed directly to any Windows local or
LAN printer, from the normal WP or WP Plus print menu.
- Does not require any gateway PCs or VS
background tasks, for minimal overhead.
- Most laser, inkjet, matrix and other
printers, including colour, are supported.
- Forms and TIFF images save stationery
costs and paper changes.
- Supports a wide range of desktop
publishing features, and those specific to the Wang
environment, extend what can be done from your familiar
and friendly Wang word processing far into the realm of
- Includes many standard Wang compatible
fonts such as Prestige, Gothic, Narrator, and line
drawing, and all internal scalable fonts in LaserJet III,
4 and 5 printers may be fully used.
- Optionally, LCS15 compatible fonts are
available for LaserJet printers without Postscript.
- Automatic rules and box drawing allow
easy addition of rules to WP and WP Plus tables and
- Special codes allow automatic printing
of the date and system information in documents.
- Duplex and multiple paper bin printers
- Automatic address printing on
envelopes or labels.
- Same software may be used for both WP
LAN printing and improved printing on existing VS
Magenta WP Features
- Magenta WP Features is an add-on to
Wang Word Processing 5.00.000, that allows WP access on
devices above 255, and many other functions that will be
of benefit to users of LAN WP. Please contact Magenta
Systems for more information.
- LAN WP is an add-on module for
Lightspeed NVS, and requires the LightSpeed Windows
module Release 3.20.40 or later.
- Magenta Printing Release 4.3 and later support LightSpeed
See Price List